"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New Project

Remember the arbor and swing?   The one Joel is eventually going to build for me?   Well, I'd also like one more project for the back yard.   At our old house, I had plenty of room for my orchids, but at this house, there are precious few places where they can survive.   Joel had the idea that we could hang orchids in the shade of the tree in our back yard and we'd be able to view the orchids from inside the breakfast room!   I love that idea!   

Meanwhile, Jeremy's welding equipment is slowly taking over the garage.  Joel had built a heavy duty workbench years ago and it was getting ruined with all the welding, etc. The guys hauled it out to the "orchid house" and I started to transform it into what I thought would work as a potting bench.

First I killed the grass in the 11'X22' area and had crushed seashell spread 3" thick to create a "floor".   The potting bench was put under Jeremy's window and the legs painted white.

 

Then I went to a guy who bends galvanized steel for air conditioner companies and had him make a cover for the top and one to hide the ugly shelf below.   Joel and Jeremy had to elevate the bench on cement blocks to bring it up to the right height for me. 
 
 
Doesn't look so bad now, does it?  A quick trip to Joann's to pick up some bins (for storing the potting soil and my garden gloves) was all I needed to complete the function of my new treasure.   I love it! 
 
 

Not bad,
Debbie