"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Jimmy's and other Yummies

Ah, yes!   There is something about going back to your birthplace......familiar sights, smells and yes!   Food!   Favorite foods!   Yummy foods!   Childhood memories brought back with one bite of the simplest pleasures of our youth.   Well, that's how it was for me in June when I spent 8 days back in Pennsylvania.   For the first few days I stayed with my cousin, Connie, and when I stepped off the plane she asked me where I'd like to eat.   The first stop for me is always Jimmy's.
 

I guess you had to grow up eating them, but these are the best darned hot dogs in the world to me.  Steamed buns, the perfect seasoning in the dog itself, mustard and chopped raw onions, and the finishing touch is a thin slice of a long dill pickle.   Makes my mouth drool just thinking about eating one.   Connie was afraid they were closed that night, so we didn't get there until lunchtime the next day.  I'm telling you, I could hardly wait!


And just like when we were kids, Connie and I ate them in the car.  Yup!   We're really cheap dates!   I can remember when my mom and dad would pop us in the car late at night and drive the 13 miles to the nearest "town" of Easton.   There was an itty bitty building shaped like a Dixie Cup along the Delaware River that housed the original Jimmy's.  We'd order our hotdogs and wash them down with a small carton of chocolate milk.   I know, sounds gross now, but that's how you ate at Jimmy's.  


Many memories come flooding back to me as I remember sitting in the back seat of the car in my jammies with my brother as we greedily inhaled our dogs and milk.  Even though the original Jimmy's was destroyed and they are now in a bland strip mall, the food hasn't changed one bit.   I'm already thinking about the next time I get to tickle my taste buds with a Jimmy's dog.

Yup, good times,
Debbie