"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Odds and Ends Post

 Here's my new toy.....a rototiller.   Who knew gardening tools could be so much fun?    Now I have to admit that Joel used this instead of me to break up the small garden some more to get it ready for planting.   And as soon as these tornadoes and thunderstorms pass I'll be out there planting my little heart out!
 Alrighty, now.   This is a doughnut.   A huge, plate-sized doughnut.   Let me explain.   As I've been driving thru town recently I noticed a banner next to the Shell gas station announcing "Mrs. Miller's doughnuts on Saturday".   Well, I just happened to be in town on Saturday and I pulled up to a small neatly painted, white, converted school bus.   And as I peeked inside the  back exit door I saw Mrs. Miller, an Amish woman, busily making more and more and more doughnuts.  And Mr. Miller was selling them as fast as she was making them!   No kidding!  There was a line of patrons in front of me.

When it was my turn to purchase, I realized that all the doughnuts were one size.....gi-normous!   They actually measured 6" across.   I had to buy some to show Joel and when I arrived home we had company visiting us.  Well, put on the coffee pot!   And we all enjoyed Mrs. Miller's doughnuts with our coffee.  Jeremy announced that we need to "get some of those" every Saturday and make it our family ritual.   Who can argue with that?  

 I had to take a pic of our new toys at work near the kitchen garden by the house.    I've sorta taken over the Polaris.....at least for now.   giggle.......Hey, the guys shouldn't have all the fun!
 Here is another bluebird protecting his nest.   Unfortunately, every time we go back to the main garden we have to pass the bird house where his new family resides and he flies out to distract us from the nest.  Don't worry, big guy.  We'll leave you and your family alone.
 The back of the Polaris has become the holding ground for some of the plants that will soon be put into the kitchen garden.   But I don't have a potting bench or  green house or any where else to put plants right now, so, this was as good a place as any for them to hang out until I get them planted.   There are strawberries and asparagus just waiting for some rich soil to hang out in!
 Ummmmm, I told you I sorta took over the Polaris.   And I travel with iced coffee in my favorite Tervis tumbler while I drive back and forth from the garden to the house.
Oh, my goodness!   One day I was painting the posts for the main grape arbor and 3 days later there were buds and leaves popping out all over the vines!
 I think they're really pretty.....don't you?
 As I was driving around the lower edge of the property by the deep woods I noticed this clump of pink blossoms.   I believe it's a native azalea.   And in my favorite color, too!   How fortunate for me!
 Our orchard, grape arbor and valley with Hinch Mountain in the background....with lovely clouds.   We love it here.......every day is so pretty, no matter what the weather holds for us.
 Remember the snowbush this winter with the snow layered on it's branches?   Well, it's blooming now and the blooms look like miniature versions of a hydrangea bush.
 And the birdhouse we put up several weeks back has new residents....a pair of tree swallows with beautiful blue-green heads and wing feathers, pure white breasts and some black on their wing tips.   They are very busy building a nest inside, preparing for a new family.
 My guys taking a much deserved break while shoveling the mushroom compost on the main garden.
 The main garden.....we're making progress.....so far we've planted lots of cool weather veggies like 3 different kinds of cabbage, 2 different kinds of broccoli, 2 whole rows of Kennebec potatoes and 1 row of Yukon Gold potatoes.    Lots more to come..........
 Things tend to get messy when we're working outside.....as evidenced by the front seat of the Polaris.   Hey, this is hard work!
Jeremy got a lesson on how to operate the Kubota from dad and was dying to give it a try.  Go for it, kid, mow away!
This picture of Joel and I is hideous, but Jeremy took it and thought it was hilarious, so, here it is.   He says it's his version of the famous painting, American Gothic.   It was 80 degrees at this point and we had been shoveling for hours and were about to fall over.....oh, well.   Anything to humor our youngest...giggle.....

Well, those are the odds and ends that sum up our daily life this past week.  One thing is for sure, we are never bored.  Now if this rain would just stop so I could get out there and do some more planting!

Dirt under my nails,
Debbie