"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, February 8, 2014

You're Not Going to Believe This....

Yes, we've moved.....again!   I know, I know, get out the eraser and change yet another address for us in your address book.    Over the last 28 years Joel and I have bought and fixed up and sold 5 houses, each with their own great qualities and each suiting the needs of our family at that time.   I suppose one obvious result of moving a lot as kids is that we have been rolling stones as adults.   Moving just isn't a really big deal to us!   Call me crazy, but this is my fourth long distance move out of state.

I haven't blogged since Christmas because we've had some major life changes, one of them being Joel's need to medically retire from medicine.   Unfortunately, some health issues have finally forced the issue and his last day at the office was in early January.   Since we're way too young to be financially prepared to retire, it just made sense to move to our farm where we can lead more of a homestead lifestyle.   Tennessee is much more laid back than the Tampa Bay area and the cost of living is very reasonable.

So, last Friday, Joel got behind the wheel of his truck and I was in my Tahoe (with Molly sitting in the seat next to me) and we each hauled trailers behind our vehicles as we drove the 12 hours up Interstate 75.   Our faithful movers were just ahead of us with 2 trucks, each towing trailers as well.  

Both of the trailers behind our vehicles had the remaining items from the yard and our garage.   Thank goodness we have the barn where we can store some of this stuff!
The movers slept overnite in a nearby town Friday and arrived at the farm bright and early Saturday morning.    Those 4 guys emptied out both trucks and their trailers and our vehicles by 2:30 that afternoon.   Man, did they ever hustle!  Luckily, I had already drawn up a "map" of the inside of the house and knew where each piece of furniture would be placed, so as they brought in each piece, I just pointed and they put it in it's new place in the farmhouse.  Then they headed back to Florida.
And this is what our kitchen looked like after the movers left that afternoon.  Yup, we have no kitchen cabinets yet.   Zero.  Zilch.  Nadda.   It's going to be interesting to work in here until we get the cabinets and appliances situated.   Oh, well, I have always loved a challenge!   Remember what our family always says?   "How hard can it be?"  Ha!
The mover estimated we had over 200 boxes.....is that really possible??   All I know is we've been emptying and flattening boxes all day long now every day for a week and we still seem to be only half way there.   Hmmmm......how do you fit all your worldly possessions into a 1400 sq. ft. house when your last house was 2800 sq. ft.?   Let's just say it's going to get interesting.    Thank goodness for the porches on both long sides of the farm house....and the pavilion has been a tremendous help as a safe storage area for bins and boxes that don't need to be brought into the house yet.   As we acquire bathroom and kitchen cabinets and storage it will become much easier to unload the remaining boxes and find a home for all that is necessary.
We have been working so hard and needed a break.   Joel and I were preparing to go for a joy ride in the car this morning. As I stepped off the back porch I bumped into a package that the mailman left for us.   It was from Barb in Alabama.....a housewarming present!    Awwww....she created and then hand embroidered 7 towels-of-the-week for me to use in our new farmhouse kitchen...and she also sent me a calendar with pictures of goats climbing up in trees.   It's been a joke between us that someday when we moved to the farm, I thought I'd like to have goats to milk as I don't tolerate cow's milk very well.   Can't believe she found a goat calendar!   What a thoughtful gift.....I know how long it took her to embroider each of those towels and I can't wait to use them in our kitchen.   giggle....as soon as I have one.....

So, that's the newest chapter in our life.....we've had quite an interesting life, wouldn't you say?    Aren't you just a little bit curious what is going to happen next?   I know we sure are!

Good night from Whispering Oaks Farm,
Debbie