"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Looking More like Home

It seems that Joel and I need to run into town for something or another at least every other day.   And Molly is getting fed up with being left to her own devices for hours on end.   She has decided that my ancient, overstuffed chair is the perfect place from which she can keep an eye on our comings and goings.   Whenever we pull the car into our lane we can see Molly faithfully keeping watch for us from her perch on the arm of the lace-clad chair.  

At least now the majority of boxes are unpacked in that room, which is the long sewing porch, and she can maneuver herself into just the right position to soak up some sun and keep an eye on all the birds in the yard.  It feels good to have established some order from the chaos of moving.   I can even sit down and sew now!   Woo-hoo!   That's something I haven't done in almost a month and I was starting to go into withdrawal.

Here's a peek at our back porch......which, by the way, is the main entrance to the farmhouse...... complete with 2 slamming screen doors.   I don't believe anyone has used the front door to this house in 60 years.    Somehow it just feels right to use the back door, walking thru the sewing porch first and then right on into the country kitchen.  It's going to be interesting to see how the use of our furniture evolves from the way we used those pieces in Florida to repurposing them in the farmhouse.

I'm so glad we had these rocking chairs from our place at the river.   They look like they really belong on this screened in porch.   And the view from the chairs of the pavilion, woods, barn and bluffs leaves nothing to be desired.  As the weather warms up, I intend to spend most mornings on one of those rocking chairs with my cappuccino....watching the bluebirds build their nests.

One of the pieces that has found a new home on the screened porch is the antique door that used to hold the signage inside my shop, Pink Florida Threads.   The chalkboard paint already existed on the sign when it was at the shop so all I had to do was find my chalk (always have some of that around for the grandkids to use on the sidewalk) and pen a winter sentiment.  I think this chalkboard is going to get a lot of use in the future.

At least we removed the huge stack of cardboard boxes that found their way onto the screened porch before I took these pics.   Oh, yeah, and the bags of garbage....you see, there is no garbage pickup out here.   Nope, now that's a first for me!   There are locations around the county where you can go and recycle and unload your kitchen garbage, too.   It's just one more change that we are embracing as we learn about our new life in the country.

As I finish up rooms, I'll try and post more pics of our progress.    We got the call today that our stove should be delivered next Tuesday.   Now that's something to get really excited about!

Till then,
Debbie