"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Back in Time

Some days I think maybe I'm out of step with this century.   My desire to learn the skills of our grandmothers and great-grandmothers certainly keeps life interesting here on the farm.   Seriously, how many people do you know that want to learn how to take raw milk from a cow and make their own butter, cheese and sour cream?   Well, I hope to do all those things and more sometime in the near future.  And believe it or not, there are a lot of folks doing just that with an eye toward eliminating chemicals and processed foods from their diets.

But, I digress......giggle.....sorry, that's easy to do.   I've always had an interest in functional objects from the past that no longer seem to have a place in our busy, techno-electronic, hurry up lives.   You know, cool things like a spinning wheel, a butter churn, a hand coffee grinder.   Well, a few days ago I was directed (yes, I was on one of those techno gizmos....the computer) to a website where a very enterprising lady gathers and sells objects from a century ago.   Her name is Carrie and you can check out her wonderful collection at www.CopperandTin.com.......she's got some pretty cool "stuff". 

I was scrolling through the pages of her online shop when I saw the neatest glass thingey....and it sits on your desk.....and the patent date on it says 1892!   Well, I kept scrolling away from it and then back again and finally decided I just had to have it.   So I ordered it and yesterday the mailman delivered it right to our door.
 When I opened the box, my new treasure was neatly wrapped in tan tissue paper and tied with brown and white twine.   How pretty!   It was like getting a present from a stranger.
And my new treasure even came with the original box!   And it's called a Moistener.    Mr. Keeler must have been tired of licking envelopes so he invented the Keeler Moistener.   How very clever of him.

And this is what it looks like......very heavy glass with a heavy felt "wick" that goes down in the glass bottom.   You fill the jar with water and it wicks up to the felt where you simply pass your envelope over the moistened felt instead of licking the envelope.   Ta-da!   How clever is that?   No more nasty tasting glue on your tongue.   Not to mention, exactly what are we licking when we seal those envelopes????   Hmmmmm????
 
 I know it's just a romantic notion, but I love the look and feel of desk "appointments" from days long passed.   Remember when I made the walnut ink back in October?   I'd like to continue practicing with the old fashioned nib type pen like the ones used in the 1700's and 1800's and my walnut ink for writing letters.   And I think that this newly acquired remnant from another century will make a pretty addition to the nib pens on my desk.

  I've taken the little secretary desk we had up at the river and have decided to use it for my watercolors and for letter writing.    It's just the right size for both and it gives me great satisfaction to sit there and either paint or write.   The desk is situated on the sewing porch with a great view of the valley below the farm.    Talk about inspiring!
There are cubby holes just right for all manner of collectibles and the drop down desktop is just right for writing letters or working on one of my paintings.   I painted the acorns on the top of the desk after collecting a sample of different acorns our oak trees dropped last fall.    Can't wait till I have more free time to paint again.
One thing I still need to check, though, is if the walnut ink will "run" if an addressed envelope gets wet.   Hmmm.....guess I had better do some experimenting before I mail anything with that ink on the outside of the envelope.   I'm having too much fun, can you tell?    So many new experiences to be had make me wish for 40 hour days instead of a mere 24.


Channeling my inner Jane Eyre,
Debbie