"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow What?

What a strange winter this has been.   Ice storms in Georgia, Alabama with schools closed because of snow and ice, South Carolina bracing for ugly winter weather........and here we sit on top of the Plateau, just waiting to see if we'll get any snow at all.   The weatherman is calling for 1"-3".....but then it may be 3"-5".   So, basically, they're not really sure what we're going to get.  

Well, today around mid-morning a fine sleet started to fall, which then changed to big fat very wet snowflakes.   By noon it began snowing in earnest.   Now that it's 3pm (central) it has fallen off.   I just came back inside from a little trip around the property, trying to snap a few pics of what little snow has fallen, just in case we don't get any more this time around.   

It's been years since we've been in snow, so Joel and I are getting a kick out of watching the flakes fall and listening to the hush in the woods that a new snowfall creates.    Here's a quick trip around the farm today:
 I just love this old wooden screen door on the back porch facing the pavilion.    I especially like how it creates a frame of the outdoors....no matter what direction I point the camera.
And this is a 100 year old snowbush that is growing on the side of our house by the huge propane tank.    The farmer who lived here before us told me he transplanted it from another one of their homesteads and that it dated back to his grandparents.   How cool is that?   I can't wait to see what it looks like this summer in full bloom.
Ummmm......I guess we need to get another welcome mat......nothing like flip flops in the snow!
This is one of my favorite views from the back porch.....looking down into our woods past that great grand-daddy oak tree.
Here's Blaylock Road curving up into the woods beyond, just in front of our house.
And here is the front of our farmhouse as seen from the mailbox.  You can tell which direction the wind was blowing as the snow was falling by the bare spot to the left of these little trees.
The grape vine on the arbor looks really pretty as a graphic design against the snow.
 My favorite....the little red wind vane whose movement never ceases.......
 And here are the woods at the one edge of the farm......pretty fir trees, with a dusting of snow.
Even an old blossom from a sedum plant looks beautiful coated in fresh snow.   So, there you have it.   A tour of the farm cloaked in white.   Every day, I fall more in love with this land.    I wish I were a painter so I could capture every nuance, every season, every sound so you could appreciate it, too.   But, these simple pictures will have to do.  

Entranced,
Debbie
New Farm Chick of Cumberland County