"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, September 24, 2011

What's next?

I don't know about you, but I have so many hobbies that sometimes it's hard to decide which one to play with next!   There won't ever be a time when I feel bored because there are so many interesting skills I'd like to acquire.   It seems that my interests fluctuate seasonally, or at least over a period of months.   I'll get hooked on an idea for a quilting project and then all I want to do is quilt for a few months.   Then, some yarn will catch my eye and I break out my knitting needles and knit for hours on end.  

Besides the time I spend with my sweet family, working on creative projects brings me the most satisfaction I have ever felt.  Now that I'm back from my trip, I"m slowly getting back into the rhythm of our home life.   I've never been one to watch TV for hours on end, but Joel loves to.   One of the ways we "hang out" together is in the living room.   While he watches his favorite shows, I do handwork;  win-win for both of us.  It doesn't matter if it's hand quilting, embroidery or knitting, I just like to have something useful to occupy my hands.
Lynn and I went shopping at a very upscale store while I was in Kansas City.  As we were leaving I spotted this jacket.   It's more teal than this photo shows and I just couldn't seem to resist it.   She insisted I try it on, ha!   The kiss of death!   You should never try on something you are so attracted to because then you'll HAVE to buy it.   Well, here it is.   Yes, I bought it!  The lightweight wool is some of the softest I have ever laid my hands on and the tailoring is exquisite.   If there's one thing I really appreciate, it's high quality sewing.  

The scarf on the jacket is one I knitted last winter and it's one of my favorite things out of all the garments I've made over the years.   It is knitted in pie-wedged shapes so that when you wear it, it falls in ripples.   Too fun!
See what I mean?  Pretty cool, huh?

There is a little boutique knitting store only a few blocks from our house and every once in a while I drop in to see what's new.   The scarf above was made from Prism yarn (which, by the way, is a St. Petersburg yarn dying artist's company) and the included pattern I bought there.    About the same time that I bought that funky yarn, I spotted a book of patterns using very fine, mohair yarn.   The romantic styles in the book were just too appealing to resist.   Then, I had to buy the yarn to go with it!   Of course!
And here is what I made:   a scarf and.....some gloves.

The scarf can be worn like a wrap on a cool evening and has tiny beeds knitted into the lacey design.   I'd never knitted using beads before but found it was a great challenge I enjoyed.  The fingerless gloves intrigued me so much that I had to try my hand at making a pair.   Thank goodness it was cold enough quite a few days last winter that I actually had opportunities to wear them.  They are great to wear while driving a car because you can still use your fingers to answer the cell phone, etc.   

The latest knitting challenge I had was teaching myself how to knit socks.   Socks are really strange to make as you use 3 double ended needles and knit around and around so there isn't a seam to annoy your feet when wearing them.   It was really awkward figuring out how to hold the needles comfortably, but I finally figured out a way that worked for me.  Here's what I've finished so far.


And they're cozy, too!   I've already got another pair of socks on my needles and should have them done in a couple weeks.  Well, it's time to get some things done around the house.   Hope you get cooler weather wherever you are.........

Happy Fall,
Debbie