"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

D's "E. A.", Part Three

Day Seven of the Trip:
Now it was time to get to work because we had a wedding to prepare for in just 5 days.  Drew and Laura did an awesome job of staying on top of all the details for their wedding, but the "to do" lists just kept on coming.  Most mornings began with coffee and laptops out on the deck while the day's work was divided up for everyone.

There were huge tablecloths to be washed and silver fabric that needed to be cut to wrap 140 chairbacks for the reception.



One of the things on my "to do" list was decorating the arch for the ceremony.   Lynn had emailed me dozens of pics of their backyard as we discussed the various possibilities of how to transform their yard into the perfect setting for a garden wedding.   When she would ask me what my ideas were for adding items to the yard, all I could say was that we'd figure it out when I got there.  She is a really good friend to trust me to do that in 5 days, but I knew that once I saw the actual space, ideas would just come to me.   Guess I just work better under pressure.  

The bride, Laura, and I walked outside alone that first morning and I asked her what did she picture in her mind's eye for her special day.   In less than 1/2 hour we had it all nailed down.   Ta-da!   Alright, we had most of it nailed down, but at least we had a good start.  (Whew!)  It didn't hurt that we had a beautiful yard to work with and they had all done a lot of work before I even got there.    The bedding plants were gorgeous and the three large trees provided shade and structure for the garden.   Add to that trickling fountains and blooming plants from friends and we pretty much had all we needed.

Lynn's husband, Lee, was incredible.  He mowed, he watered, he tirelessly tackled each project I presented to him, and all with a smile on his face.  Oh, yeah, and all this with daytime high temperatures of 105 degrees.   Hey, Lee, my hat's off to you!


Lee and their youngest son, Grant, set up the rustic arbor on the leveled (no small feat, let me tell you!) wooden platform.  Hmmmm, now all I have to do is decorate it...... the day of the wedding..... because it's Kansas and the wind is always blowing......no pressure there, ha!

Part IV tomorrow,
Deb