"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

D's "E. A.", Part Ten (It's almost over, I promise)

Day 14:  Today was the first time during the whole trip that I started to doubt my ability to drive the rest of the way home.  I had been burning the proverbial candle at both ends and was now paying the price for it.  Really, I need to drive HOW many hours today?!?  Ok, ok, I'm in the car again, but at least I'm heading south.........in the right direction.........at least I think I am.
I wanted to show you something.   It just tickles me that in Missouri, the smaller roads have letter names instead of numbers, like highway K.   So I took a pic of this roadsign for you to see for yourself.   Some of the roads have double letters such as highway BB.   Isn't that funny?
The previous week when I was driving north toward Kansas City I had noticed this orchard stand along the highway and wrote down the exit number so I could stop there on my way home.   Well, now that I was heading home I did stop there after leaving Jackie's house and wasn't disappointed.   They had early apples, peaches, mums and so many other goodies that I had to restrain myself from loading up the remaining free space in my car.   I did end up buying a large bag of apples so I could make applesauce and can it for our holiday meals.

By now it was almost lunchtime.  My stomach was empty and I went searching in the car for something to eat.   I kept a small cooler on the front seat and when I opened it, what a surprise!   Jackie had packed me a wonderful lunch and loads of finger foods so I could eat as I drove.   Thank you, Jackie, for loving on me so much!   What a thoughtful gift.  So, I sang songs with my I-Phone and munched on carrots and be-bopped down the highway.
Yeah, one state closer!  Next stop, Barb and Chuck's house.......again! 

Yup!   I'm back in the South again.   This flag was blowing in the stiff breeze as I pushed thru the northern portion of Mississippi toward Alabama.

One of these days I'd like to drive the Natchez Trace Parkway and see the Antebellum homes and plantations.   Hmmmm.....maybe next trip.

Ok, this sign just cracked me up.   No, really, I was carrying on in my car laughing and talking to myself about how funny the sign was.   I think I was getting a little punchy from all the hours on the road alone.   Hmmmm.....not a good thing, but I did have great conversations with myself!   Ha!

By dinnertime I wearily pulled into Barb's house.  What a sight for sore eyes!  I was so happy to see their place and to be able to get out of the car for a day.  They had a yummy dinner all ready to eat and a bed for me to crash on......and crash I did.

Almost to the End,
Debbie