"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

D's "E. A.", Part Nine

Day 13: Labor Day
Lee and Lynn's household was still bustling with guests and the chairs were still set up in the backyard from the ceremony but it was time for me to head out for my next destination.    After a tearful drive down their street I turned the car around and headed for St. Louis.   Time to start heading East again.  My next stop was at Gary and Jackie's. 

Gary was the best man at our wedding over 25 years ago.   He and Joel have stayed in touch and over the years they have come to Florida a few times to see us, but we had not been up to St. Louis to see the house they built.  It was just past lunchtime when I pulled off the interstate and read the directions to their house.

Let's see, down this road for 9 miles, over the river and thru the woods......hmmmmm.....very curvy switchback turns down a steep grade, turn left  and then right, going from one little country road to the next.   Jackie "texted" me in (thank goodness because I would have missed the final turnoff for sure) and I eased onto a gravel road.    Okay, go 1.3 miles........um, very dusty and getting more remote.,   Huh.   Deadend......... at a gorgeous house........... with an incredible view.
Here's another view of the pond nestled in the valley between two ridges.
I could spend all day sitting on the screened porch just looking out on the pond and woods, listening to the wind in the trees.

Jackie walked me around the outside of the house to show me some of their beautiful, secluded property.  OH-MY-Goodness.  Simply awesome.   The wind was rustling all the leaves and rippling the pond.   A few of the trees had just barely begun to change color for fall.  I gladly flopped in a chair poolside as Jackie grilled our dinner.  Does it get much better than this?   Don't think so!


What a pretty house.........at the end of the road..........in the middle of nowhere........Awesome!

Jackie and Gary, sorry it took me so long to get up here to see your house.   It was certainly worth the wait!
Whenever I think of your place in the country, this is the picture that will come into my mind......
That night I snuggled into the guest bed and fell into a deep sleep.   I was pretty tired from the crazy schedule I'd been keeping.  The next morning I woke up to Jackie's voice reminding me I wanted to get on the road early.  Moan......as I was pulling out of their driveway, this is the last pic I took of their hideaway.  The early morning shadows were still draped across the pond.  I'll say it again, simply beautiful.

More roadtripping with Debbie tomorrow,
Traveling Girl