"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Friday, November 28, 2008

It's in the genes




I don't know about you, but for me, having my kids and grandkids over for the holidays is what makes the day. Don't get me wrong, I loooove planning the menu, cooking up new and exciting foods, and decorating the house and table "just so". But, living in our rental this year with 75% of our things in storage has cramped my style a bit. So, I scaled everything down and we still had a wonderful day. And, once again, I was reminded that life is all about our loved ones, not the "things" we possess.

This year, Jarrad and Dawn spent Thanksgiving in the hospital. Since the hospital is only 5 minutes from us, Jarrad was able to come to our house just long enough to eat with us but then he was anxious to get back to Dawn and baby Nate. Julie, Cameron and the "kiddles" came over late in the day and hung out and we ate all over again. Jeremy's girlfriend even came over and met our boisterous clan for the first time.(Hope we didn't scare her off!) I love all the chatter and giggling as we each try to get in as much sharing time as possible before everyone has to go back home.

While Julie and her family were here from Sanford this week, she and Sydney, our 7 yr. old granddaughter, came to visit me at the shop on Tuesday. As crazy as I am about sewing and anything fiber related, my daughter Julie never seemed to catch that fever, at least not to the degree that I caught it. Well, I guess it skipped a generation because little Miss Sydney is even more entranced than I was at her age by fabrics, their textures, and all the dazzling colors God has blessed us with in our world. Julie knew it was just too much for her to fondle all the materials in my "stash" and not have something to claim for herself.

So, I opened the cabinet doors and we started designing a bag for Sydney to use to carry her American Girl doll. Well, it was hilarious to watch her try and narrow down all the possibilites. She just wanted it all! Hmmmm, wonder where she gets that from?!? Ok, Ok, I'm not going there. Pretty soon, not only did she place an order for a tote for the doll, but, an adorable little purse would be nice, too, wouldn't it? By now, I believe Julie thought the child would like to sleep in the shop that night, but she managed to get her in the car and drive back to their campsite at Ft. De Soto.

Fast forward 48 hours to turkey day afternoon, and Sydney says something to the effect, "Grammy, I thought you would have my purse done." Ha! We've been busy having a baby, cooking a small feast, cleaning out the dust bunnies, and collapsing in a tired happy heap on the couch. Julie and I just giggled.....guess what I'll be sewing today? I can't stand to disappoint Sydney. Hope you enjoy the picture of Sydney oogling all the fabrics. I think the picture says it all.

Have a great weekend,
Debbie