"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cousins and other friends




It's a brisk, 43 degrees here in sunny Florida this morning and I'm lovin' it! As a matter of fact, it reminds me of one late afternoon last January. The kind of day where the sky is that perfect shade of cornflower blue and there are no clouds in sight. And, the air smells clean, crisp and fresh.

Late last January, my husband, Joel and I took the RV up to Astor on the St. John's River for a few days of relaxation. Astor is a little fishing village that nestles on the outer edge of the Ocala National Forest. We love going up there because it's like living in another era, a time where life passes just a little slower and sweeter.

Joel's cousin, Steve, and his wife Linda, have been our camping buddies for years now, and they have a fifth wheel camper permanently parked at Parramore's, a wonderful RV park right on the St. John's River. The folks who are "full-timers" at the RV park are the friendliest people we've met in a long time. Steve and Linda have made sure to introduce us to all these lovely people and now it's like seeing long lost friends whenever we arrive at Parramore's. So, Astor holds warm memories for us.

Well, last Christmas, Joel bought me a Nikon D80 camera and I was dying to try it out on the river. After doing some reading about the best time of day to shoot landscapes, I explained to Steve that I would need to go out on the river just before sunset. (Like I even knew what I was doing! Ha!) Good buddy, Stevie......he graciously said he'd just looooove to take me out on the river to use my camera. Linda said, "Forget it, it's too cold." Joel said, "I'm taking a nap. You guys go."

Off we went, and good grief, was it ever getting nippy out on the water. Well, Steve showed me how absolutely spectacular the St. John's is as we wound our way through little tributaries, and snaked our way past shores that looked prehistoric. I believe I shot around 350 pictures late that afternoon as Steve patiently put-putted the boat past leaning palm trees. We even rounded a corner to see wild turkeys strutting around a giant oak tree! Oh, how I love being in the middle of nature. By now, Steve and I barely had any feeling in our hands from the cold. So, we headed back in as the last bit of sun cast shadows on the water.

Now, how does that apply to Pink Florida Threads, you ask? Well, Stevie, the pics of the run down shacks falling into the water are now proudly featured on the wall of my shop and they are all thanks to you. Thanks for your patient maneuvering of the boat that day, and thanks for bearing the cold temps just so I could satisfy a long standing need to capture some of old Florida in my lens. Many people have asked about those pics since the shop has opened, and I just smile and tell them that my cousin, Stevie, my buddy and my friend, is responsible for me being able to get those shots that day. Aren't friends just the best?

Have a blessed day,
Debbie