"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Quilt for Jo

This beaming gal is Jo, a very dear lady. I've made a quilt for Jo before and she told me how pleased she was with it when it was finished. That quilt is recorded here in the blog October 3,2009 and was made for Jo's niece.

Recently, Jo brought her deceased father's ties to me and asked if I could create a quilt to give to her mother in remembrance of her dad. I wanted to keep the ties intact as much as possible and came up with the idea for laying them horizontally like graphic bars of silk color. That was the jumping off point for designing this quilt. The mottled grey batik fabric was requested by Jo and as I sketched the quilt out on paper, solid ideas took form and most of them ended up in the final quilt.
Jo was wonderful to work with as she gave me free rein to do whatever came into my head. The ties were taken completely apart, the interfacing was removed and then the tedious task of lining them all up began. It took an entire day just to lay them out symmetrically and pin them onto the batik fabric. After I was pleased with the color layout I needed to come up with an interesting way to stitch them onto the batik to hold them in place permanently. So, each tie was stitched with soft grey thread using a different machine embroidery stitch to create continuity but lend visual interest to the finished quilt. Nine hours later that task was completed. Whew!
Now it was time to quilt the layers together. Jo's mom had written a long list of names and descriptives that told about the life of her husband and I used all those names in free hand quilting to stitch the final layers of the quilt together. Before I could do the quilting, though, I had to construct the back of the quilt.
The back of the quilt was made by using her dad's dress shirts; pockets, buttons and plackets included. In the close-up below you can see the buttons and plackets from some of the shirts. As simple as this quilt appears, it was one of the most technically challenging quilts I have ever made.
As I showed the completed quilt to Jo, we shared a few tears together and I expressed to her that this was one of the most rewarding quilts I have worked on. Jo, thanks for trusting me with the precious momentos of your dad's life. I pray this will bring some measure of peace and comfort to your mom each time she looks at it and remembers her dear husband.

Grateful to be a part of this memory,
Debbie