"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Turkey Roulade or....It's just a Turkey, you Turkey!


Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas this year.  I had a great day, I just got off to a little bit of a late start.   Note the pink "Santa Baby" pajamas....at 9:30 Christmas morning in the photo above.   I had planned on waking up around 7 or 8am, sipping my first cappuccino while I worked on a new recipe for the main dish of the day, turkey roulade.  Well, it was cozy under the covers in our bed, especially since the house was a bit chilly.   When I finally looked at the clock, it was 9:30.  Yikes!   The bird was supposed to be in the oven at 9:30 and I was just getting up!

I jumped out of bed and raced around the kitchen prepping the stuffing for the roulade.   Now, I've never done a roulade before....talk about brave(or really, really stupid).   My family is used to being the taste testers for my culinary attempts.   I had had the butcher at Publix debone an entire turkey for me the day before and prep the turkey breast as had been called for in the recipe.   I was able to knock out an hour of prep in under 40 minutes.....chopping dried figs and soaking them with dried cranberries in brandy on the stove.  Joel was put to work sauteing onions and celery and pork sausage to add to the cornbread stuffing.   Yummy!  Then came the part I was unsure of...how to roll the turkey breast around the layer of stuffing and tie the whole thing together.   It actually went better than I thought it would have.


 
As you can see, it came out of the oven looking pretty.....nice and brown and done to the correct temperature according to the thermometer.  But how was it going to taste?   After letting it rest for 15 minutes under a tent of foil I transferred it to the platter and held my breath as I sliced it open. 

What a surprise!   It worked!   And we actually ate right on rime.  My sweet daughter-in-law even pronounced that it was the juiciest turkey she had ever eaten.   Ahhhh, success.  Oh, and by the way, I did take the time to actually get dressed before everyone arrived.

I wonder what I should try to make for our next holiday get together?   Hmmmmmm.....I'll let you know.

Back in my jammies,
Debbie