"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Believe it or Not

I have debated for several days now about whether or not to share this with you.   Oh, I know, you chuckle when you read about our mishaps and long learning curve.    And you may even sometimes ponder the idea of making the trip here to play farmer for a few days alongside us.   I try my best to convey the nuances of our daily life......the sun rising above the mountain on a clear crisp fall day, the wonder of new baby chicks following their mama, the sound of the leaves rustling in the breeze as a summer storm approaches.

And while you more than likely can visualize what I share with you about our daily routines, I'm not kidding when I say some of you simply won't believe what I'm about to tell you.   Joel witnessed it himself and he told me that if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes he would have had a hard time believing me as I relayed what we saw.    So, exactly what the heck am I talking about here????

Well, here goes.  Three days ago I was standing at our back door looking out into the girl alpacas pasture that they share with Buttercup.   The alpacas had all wandered into the barn and were munching hay.    We have a gate at the edge of their stall that we can close when we need to capture the animals and give them shots.  Buttercup was standing just outside the barn on the concrete pad when I saw her nudge the 12' gate with her nose.    It swung a foot or so toward the barn as she tentatively walked closer to the gate.   Then she nudged it again.  

"Huh", I thought.  "Look at that", said Joel as he walked up behind me.   We stood and watched as Buttercup repeatedly pushed the gate, watched it swing ever closer to the barn and then she did it again and again.   Until finally she had pushed it shut.   Joel and I looked at each other and started to chuckle.   What a funny calf!   But it's what she did next that we can't stop talking about.

She turned around and immediately started to jump around like a 4 year old child let loose on a playground after a long winter stuck inside.  She jumped and jumped and spun around and then casually walked over to the hay feeder in the pasture for a snack.   We were dumbfounded.   We looked at each other and asked, "Did we really see that right?".   And, was she demonstrating how happy she was to have her new stall mates trapped?

We have been experimenting(aren't we always?) with keeping Buttercup with the girls in an effort to give her company....yes, farm animals are social beings too and do better if kept with other animals.  But the jury is still out on whether or not this has been a good idea.   The girls are taller than Buttercup and outnumber her 7-1.   And we can see she is sometimes intimidated by them and one of the girls will occasionally spit in her direction as a warning to "back off", especially when there is food involved.  

I'm not too happy about the way this is shaping up and we are working on another solution.   But solutions take time, effort and money.   Sigh.   Hey, it's just "another little project", right?   I think Buttercup had just about had enough of these bullies and penned them into the barn on purpose.  Her delight at having done so was pretty evident to us.   See, I told you that you may not believe me.   But watching her body language made it clear to us she would rather not have to deal with the alpacas up close and personal.
 Hmmm, is this my "good side"?
 Or does the camera like this side better?  giggle.....
 "Yeah, I got 'em cornered, Mom."   See what I mean about the gate being closed?   She did that all by herself!
 Even though the gate isn't latched, the alpacas don't challenge fences, so, they would never think of pushing against it.  And that means they just stand there and look out toward the pasture wondering when they will be released from their stall.   What funny creatures.
 Yes, Buttercup, you are adorable.   Look at those eyelashes, ladies.

Since this is a cow post, I need to tell you what else has been going on with the cows on the farm across from ours.    Four days ago the farmer removed some of the calves from their mamas.    It's done every year once the calves reach weaning age....which is anywhere from 3-5 months.   The result, though, is some very unhappy mama cows.   They will bellow and bellow while searching for their calves.    It's been kinda pitiful to watch and it tugs on Joel and my heartstrings to see these animals so distressed.
 For four days now these two black angus mamas have been pacing back and forth along their barbed wire fence, looking wistfully toward the pasture where Buttercup hangs out, and bellowing non-stop, morning, noon and night.    Yes, 24 hours a day.   Very loud moo-ing.    Loud moo-ing that echoes deep into our valley below.   Moo-ing until these poor creatures are almost hoarse today.
Every once in a while Buttercup will respond with her own polite little girl "moo" which is nothing even remotely close to the loud sounds coming from the angus moms.  And then the mamas begin their chanting all over again.  
So that's my post about cows.   And cow behavior.   And how smart we think our Buttercup is.   You know, like those folks who brag about how "gifted" their child is.   Giggle......oh, come on, we all know that every kid can't possibly be gifted!   Ok, you can decide for yourself if Buttercup knowingly nudged that gate closed to have a few moments of peace alone in the pasture.  

As for Joel and I, we're believers.
Deb