"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, October 7, 2013

Idle Hands, NOT!

My dear husband loves to sit and watch movies.   I mean, it's absolutely his favorite thing to do.    As for me, a movie here and there is just fine, but I'd rather be doing something instead of watching other people doing something.   See the conflict I'm setting up here?

Well, after almost 3 decades of married life together, we have found our happy medium.   He watches all the movies he wants, I join him on the couch or my favorite overstuffed chair............and I knit, or needlepoint, or hand sew, or crochet, or quilt.   Get the idea?   We're still together, we can still have a conversation and share a cup of coffee, but I don't get "antsy" sitting there for hours.   Obviously, we have opposing levels of energy, but it works for us!

Last year I got back into needlepoint and here are two of the finished projects.
I just love this little Key West house and the palm trees.   Notice the little black kitty hanging over the porch rail?    It is still unframed and I may decide not to frame it after all and just hang the raw canvas "as is" in my studio.
This coastal bird was a lot of fun to stitch out, but there were times when I thought I'd go cross eyed trying to determine the varying shades of tan for his body.   All in all, though, stitching these pieces was very enjoyable.  It's just fun to see how fast the picture comes alive as you stitch the different gorgeous yarns onto the canvas.   Stitching one of these is kinda like paint by number, as the canvas is painted in the corresponding color to the yarn, so you know where to put each strand of yarn.

As for the bird canvas, I sewed him into a pillow for our bedroom.   Don't you think he blends all of our colors really well?   Here he is in his new home, sitting on the rocking chair whose fabric is a wild tropical leaf pattern in tans, soft coastal blues and browns. 

So, the next time you're bored, why don't you try your hand at some needlepoint?    It's pretty cool!
On to the time project,
Debbie