"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

River Crossing Thanksgiving

This was a quiet Thanksgiving for us with Jeremy now living in Sioux Falls.   And as it was Jarrad and Dawn's year to spent the holiday with her family, Joel and I decided to spend Thanksgiving up at the river, A.K.A., River Crossing.  It was so relaxing to walk the dogs in the cool morning air and we finally got to enjoy our newly enclosed back porch.   Every morning, Joel and I took our coffee out there and rocked on the new rocking chairs as we chatted and sipped our caffeine of choice.  It actually got down to 38 degrees several mornings!

I had cooked our turkey at home before we went to the cabin because I have limited pots and pans up there.   Wow!   Did that ever work out nice?   I loved just warming up the sliced turkey and making the gravy from all the juices I had saved the day I roasted the bird.   Then, the only other thing to make was my kid's favorite.......stuffing!   Yum!   Cornbread crumbled up and cubes of seasoned bread studded with Granny Smith apples, raisins, and pecans mixed with sauteed celery and onion.    Hmmmm, maybe I need to make some more of that............and not wait for a holiday.

Julie, Cameron, Sydney and Jackson arrived early in the afternoon just as everything was ready to come out of the oven.   Julie had made the sweet potato casserole, the mashed potatoes, the best pumpkin pie I have ever eaten and a gorgeous two crusted apple pie.  



There was certainly nothing upscale about our table this year, but I sure did a lot less work and I enjoyed everyone's company a whole lot more!



Yum!   I could eat this meal all over again!  

All in all we had a truly relaxing day together and ended it with a fire in the fire pit.    The kids and I  toasted marshmallows and Jack had s'mores since he doesn't care for pie.   The rest of us dug into pie and coffee.  

 


What a great way to spend the day, eating yummy food with loved ones, enjoying the fresh, cool outdoors and relaxing by a fire.   Ahhhhhh, more of that , please......
Just me and my favorite guy..........sitting on our deck.......by the fire........doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!     Can you believe it?    There are so few pics of me, over the years, where I am actually sitting still, that I'm sure you can't believe I could do that...........sit still, that is.   Well, I'm learning how....... 


River Girl,
Debbie