"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, December 10, 2012

Dirt, Figs and No Broccoli

Weird title, huh?   It'll all make sense soon, just keep on readin'.....

So, we put Molly outside to do her business and she was so quiet that we kinda forgot about her.  Our backyard is completely fenced in and she is safe out there and sometimes she just likes to roam around looking for lizards to chase or she lies near the french doors watching the squirrels.  When we finally brought her in she was a mess.  Obviously she was digging in some dirt somewhere and she proved once again that she is a tomboy.
Pretty dirty, wouldn't you say?
What a mess!  She is so used to being cleaned up when she comes in from outside that she patiently holds still while we scrub her clean again.  What a funny dog.....

Now, onto the next subject, figs.   I've been checking on the fig tree everyday so that when the figs are ripe I pick them before the squirrels and racoons get them.   Unfortunately, they have to ripen on the tree because if you pick them before they are ripe, they won't ripen sitting on your counter.   It becomes a contest to see if I get more than the critters that invade our backyard.  This season I am winning so far.  
Aren't they beautiful?   I love them.   They are so perfectly shaped and delicious to eat.  Each season the harvest gets better and better.

Hmmmmm, so how about the "no broccoli" you ask?  Remember this from several weeks ago?  

My beautiful, healthy broccoli plants and all the lettuce were growing so well.  I went out to harvest the lettuce for salad and this is what I found:
Yup!   I know!  I was surprised,too.............and ticked...........someone ate every single plant down to a nub.   How irritating it that?  Next time I'm putting some sort of mesh screen around them.   Darn....
it is kinda funny now that a few days have passed.   Good grief, someone was really hungry to have eaten everything like that.

So it's the start of another new week and I'm turning my focus toward preparing for Christmas.  I have finished all the work promised to clients and I can just relax and "do my own thing" for a couple of weeks.   And Jeremy is coming in 12 days to stay with us for a week!  

Good times,
Debbie