"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, February 15, 2016

The Last (I hope) Slipcover

Yes, I hope this is the last slipcover I make for the foreseeable future.    A few days ago, I switched around a couple pieces of furniture in the farm house and put this green rocking chair out in the studio.   The white chair that had been in the studio is now in the living room where I sit to stitch at night while Joel and I watch tv together.    All in all, the switch of chairs was a win-win and they both "fit" better now.    This swivel rocker is very comfortable, but the dark green fabric hails back to our days at our much more formal Hunt Club house.   Ummmm,  not gonna work in my cheerful studio.   Yup, time for a change!
 Once again, I pulled fabrics from my stash and began tearing into yet another slipcover project.    Here you're looking at the right arm fitted and sewn.   Whew!    The pink fabric is oh-so-soft Minky and the front panel of the arm is left over fabric with, you guessed it......blue birds on it!
 Making progress.......the two seat cushions are done.   The lime green fabric was a throw that I had draped over a chair in its former life.   Now, the soft fabric is very cozy to sit on.
 Yup.    The second day of sewing yielded great progress.    The cream fabric is actually a vintage chenille bedspread I found at a thrift shop a couple of years ago.   I am always keeping my eye out for these babies because they make up great pillows and add a funky vibe to clothing as pockets and cuffs on jackets.  
 Just add the seat cushion......
 .....and the back cushion.......
 ......and my fun pillow that I made at my shop in Florida and it's done!
 I think this slipcover is now my favorite of the 4 that I stitched up this month!    And the easiest part of sewing this one was taking the original ruffled bedskirt already attached to the bedspread and repurposing it as the skirt of the slipcover.   Ta-da!  
That chenille bedspread yielded a whole lot of usable fabric.   What a find for $4.00.....wouldn't you say?
Here's a close up of the hot pink piping  and the bluebird fabric panels.    I love mixing all those fabrics and patterns together!  And this is the softest, snuggliest( I made that word up) chair in the house now.
Molly especially seems to enjoy the soft, cozy feel of the fabrics.   She hopped up here on the rocker when the job was complete and actually sighed as she settled in for a nap.    What a funny dog!  She knows her fabrics!
So just when I thought I was done adjusting the studio while Barb was here......I went ahead and added another tweak to the whole design.    Happy colors, happy fabrics, happy quilter.
Deb