"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

From Hideous to Fabulous

This........

.......is Joel's hideous office chair.    The faux "leather" upholstery is actually a sad imitation of the real deal.    Yup, it's vinyl.   Ugh!    I don't especially like fabrics that try to replicate the real fabric because they seldom live up to my expectations.    And this chair covering is no exception.   The rest of the chair is exceptionally sturdy and Joel swears it's really comfortable....except for the cracked and peeling vinyl seat.   What's a girl to do?   Seamstress Debbie to the rescue!

I dug thru my stash of home dec fabrics and found enough pieces from previous projects to make a slip cover that would hold up to heavy use, look masculine and be comfortable.   Ta-da!  This is how it turned out.
 Not too bad, even if I do say so myself.   I deplore making slip covers.   Really.   Don't.   Like.   Sewing.   Them.    But they work so well.   And, in this case, it cost me nothing but my time to make this one.   Sure beats buying a new office chair for hundreds of dollars, right?

 The part of the slipcover I had the most fun making were these arm chair covers.   I decided to  put "patches" on the top.....reminiscent of elbow patches on an old favorite sweater.   The mattress ticking stripe fabric helped to keep the cover less formal.....more in keeping with the farm house.
 Figuring out how to make the fabric go over all the curves was the hardest part of the whole project.    But with a few pleats here and some creative adjusting there, I think it all worked out ok.  
And in order to be able to pull the whole thing over the chair, I had to allow some extra fabric in the form of a pleat in the back.    Yup, that worked just fine.   And it added a bit of dressmaker detailing that I love.    And the three antique buttons I found in my stash worked perfectly as closures for the pleat.
All in all, not a bad project.    Now that I'm on a roll with this whole slipcover thing......I am tackling another one that I'll show you in a few days.

Off to the sewing room,
Debbie