"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Friday, June 20, 2014

This & That

I thought I'd post some pictures today of things that don't need an entire post by themselves but still represent what is going on here at Whispering Oaks.   So sit back with your iced coffee and enjoy...

Remember the mystery vines that I started to train up the trellis off our rocking chair porch?  I finally figured out that they are two different clematis, one in lavender and one in a deep purple.   And the yellow day lily below it just happens to be blooming at the same time.
We have one lone blueberry bush that the farmer before us had planted out in the front acre of the yard.   When I was mowing past it last week I noticed the beautiful shade of lime green and pink of the unripe berries....so, of course I had to run inside and get my camera so I could capture these beauties on film.
 And speaking of beauties, these orange lillies have popped up all over our scrub brush areas around the bluff.   I'm not sure if someone planted them at one time and they keep multiplying each year but I sure am happy to see them.
 Now down in the main garden I "planted" this see-saw sculpture to help keep the critters away.   It swings up and down when the wind rocks it....plus it's cute, don't you think?
  Joel shot this pic of me kneeling in between the broccoli plants (which are behind me) and the beautiful red cabbage in front of me.   All the green stuff in the far background are the potato rows.   Sure hope they're making potatoes underground for us.

Yes, this really is what my purse looks like.   Joel bought me this awesome pink purse for my birthday a couple of years ago and it's one of my favorites.....and I especially like to use it in the summertime.   Well, now when we go to town I dump my leather work gloves inside and make sure I have my cell phone.  Yup, the phone has a pink "camo" cover.   If we go to the feed store, co-op or Lowe's we are likely to pick up fencing or other scratchy sharp objects, so I've learned to keep gloves on me so I can help Joel load up the trailer.   Now isn't that a picture of city girl meets country girl?
And how are the dogs doing, you ask?    Just fine......this particular day we took them down to meet their cousins....Princess Pork Chop and Princess Bacon.    There was a lot of tail wagging going on and Molly wanted to get inside the pen with the pigs.  Princess Bacon just "oink-ed" and walked away.
Speaking of Molly.....she feels it is her honor bound duty to babysit the chicks.  The first day we had the chicks on the front porch Molly cried and carried on by the front door.   We finally opened the main door and kept the storm door shut and she plopped right down and kept watch over the brood.  Whew!   No more crying.   Glad we figured that one out.   I guess her mothering instincts have kicked in.
I like this pic of the guys walking the dogs back to the house.   It shows that sometimes we really do slow down and take the time to simply enjoy being stewards of this land that we are blessed to call home.  We've all been working really hard to get the gardens up and running and to build and prepare housing for the pigs and chicks.   Not to mention organizing Joel's workshop and keeping everything watered. 
We try to regularly get outside....not to work, but to express the gratitude we feel to God for all we have here.   Worship comes really easy when you are surrounded by nature and you don't have to confine your worship to Sunday morning at church.

Amen and Amen,
Debbie