"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, June 9, 2014

"S" & "L" Came to Whispering Oaks

S & L stands for Steve and Linda.   Steve and Joel are cousins and Linda is Steve's wife.  Linda and I lovingly refer to Steve and Joel as Frick and Frack because they are so much alike.   We've been camping buddies with S&L for well over 15 years.  And they are responsible for turning us on to "the river", our own little hideaway deep in the Ocala National Forest in Florida.   That's where we had a little place we called our Tin Can Cabin up until a short time before we moved to Tennessee.

We were so excited that S&L decided to come visit us after attending their nephew's graduation in North Georgia.   I had my camera ready to get a shot of them driving down our lane leading up to the farmhouse.
 Um, we were just a little excited to see them, don't you think?
 It took all of about 5 minutes for Molly and their poodle, Higgins to get reacquainted and then they were tearing around playing just like old times.   Winston even got into the act.   Watching the three dogs play with each other gave us a few laughs over the next couple of days.
 Higgins just loves to sit on Linda's lap....
 And Molly really missed him when he went out in the yard.    Higgins doesn't run away like Molly does, so he was able to roam around the yard without a leash.   Sigh... if only we could convince Molly to stick by us she would be allowed to run free, too.
 Linda clicked off a quick pic of Joel and I in front of our newly hung sign.  At least that day I didn't have my dirty gardening clothes on!   How is it that I hardly ever get my picture taken when I have on some decent clothing and a little bit of make up?   Thank goodness this was one of those times.  Thanks, Linda!
 Every  morning when I went outside I found Stevie sitting with a cup of coffee out in the pavilion.  He kept saying how much he was enjoying the peace and quiet and all the birdsong.    Me, too, buddy.   Me, too.   That's my favorite thing to do every morning as I sip my cappuccino.
 The four of us just talked and chatted and got all caught up on our lives.....for 3 days!   We talked late into the night....conversation is never hard to come by with good friends.  And the rocking chair porch got a lot of use as we visited. 

Oh, yes, and we ate pretty well, too.   Seems whenever we get together there is always a lot of food involved.    Yummy food, deserts, new beverages, snacks...it doesn't matter.   Linda and I love to cook and we both read cookbooks like others read a novel and we're always trying a new recipe of one sort or another.
 The best way to see some of the beautiful birds flying to the feeder is to use my binoculars.   Steve got a close look at some blue birds and a pretty woodpecker.
 Linda had put food out for Higgins that Molly decided was much more to her liking than her regular ole' dog food.   She actually made little sighing noises as she tried to sneak a peek under the bathroom door in an effort to find the duck and sweet potato cuisine.    Apparently one taste was all it took and she was hooked on the duck!
All too soon Steve and Linda packed up their bags and loaded the car.   While we hated to see them leave, their parting was made a little easier with a promise from them to come enjoy a few days this Fall.    I can almost smell the cider and pumpkin pie already.   And I'll bet we stay up late into the night catching up once again.

There's nothin' like cousins,
Debbie