"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Preserved Boxwoods, Anyone?

I know, who ever heard of preserved boxwoods?     Up until a few months ago, preserved boxwoods had not even come close to showing up on my decorating radar.   And then I started to see these luscious green orbs, and wreaths, and topiaries showing up everywhere as I looked at decorating blogs online.   Well, of course I had to do some investigating.  

And am I ever glad that I did.   Preserved boxwoods are just that.......boxwood stems with attached leaves that are preserved so even those with a black thumb can have beautiful greenery in their homes year round.  No fuss, no work, no muss.    They come in all shapes and sizes and are yours for the choosing.

The first one I bought I found at Home Goods for a pretty good price.    It is a little pyramidal tree topiary that resides on my sweet secretary desk which I use for painting watercolors.   And I think the little tree makes the room so cheerful, too.   Don't you agree?
Well I liked the way that one little tree looked so much that I decided to jump in with both feet and look for more.   So I got online and ordered a 10" square wreath, a 10" ball, and 3 round wreaths in graduated sizes.   When they arrived last week and I opened the box they were shipped in I was not disappointed.   
It may be hard to see in this pic but we have a black, cursive letter "R" on the back door and I overlapped the square wreath over the letter.  Because this particular wreath is only 1" thick, it doesn't interfere with the storm door when closed.

 And then I played around with my chalkboard that sits on the sofa table on the porch......it is, after all, almost time for Easter.
Here's a little closer view of the wreath hanging from the top of the repurposed cabinet door.  Because this door is very tall, the wreath helps to "take up" some of the blank space on the upper half of the chalkboard.
But I think my favorite piece of boxwood is the orb.    It's just so lush and full and ......well......so green!
I think that placing the round ball on top of a grapevine wreath and then sitting them both on top of the urn makes more of a statement, don't you?    After digging around in the barn I also found my large grapevine wreath and used that one on the huge white urn which is holding one of the pussy willow bushes I bought 2 weeks ago.  

As soon as the weather stays warm I'll be planting the 2 pussy willow bushes outside, but right now as I type this,  the snow is coming in sideways again!   Yes, I said it's snowing again.   Nothing is sticking, but it is really cold outside today.   And did I already mention..........it's snowing!!!   We've had such nice warm weather for several days now that today is quite a shock.   Oh, well, it won't last long.
Back to the boxwoods........yup, this one is most definitely my favorite.   So if you're looking for something to jazz up your decorating, why not look into a piece or two of preserved boxwood?    You just might like it as much as I do!

Green (and snowy) for today,
Debbie