"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, June 21, 2010

Now You Know Why We're Remodeling the Bathroom

Ok, so, check this out. This is an example of the plumbing that was pulled from the underside of our Tin Can Cabin. Joel says it has 5 different kinds of pipe including PVC, CPVC, galvanized & gray pipe......all in a 16" span! Kinda like a Tinkertoy, wouldn't you say? No wonder there were leaks. Now he wants to frame it in a shadowbox to hang on the wall. I'll have to think about that for a while.
When we arrived at the Tin Can Friday night, the holes in the floor were covered with plastic that was tacked in place, but how long had it been tacked that way? Joel went to bed and was almost asleep when I decided to join him. Big surprise! There in the "tucked under the pillow" portion of the new quilt I just made were acorns. Some were eaten, some were whole but the point is that some little critter had decided that this would be a cozy spot to put some food. Yikes! Needless to say, Joel jumped up and we cleaned up the mess.
Then we couldn't sleep because we had no idea if the perpetrator was still in the Tin Can with us. Several times over the next hours I jumped up and thought I heard something moving around. I finally went to sleep with a MagLite flashlight in my right hand. Early the next morning I found Billy, our handyman guy who is doing the lion's share of our remodeling and explained once again that "Mama don't do no critters.". The remaining plumbing was completed and the holes completely covered up with plywood by dinner time that night. Whew!
By the time we left Sunday, we had installed flooring and made all the final decisions regarding getting the bathroom put back together again. So tomorrow I'm going back up there to prime and paint the drywall that was installed today so the toilet can be installed. Peeing in a cup at 3am was funny once, but I don't need to repeat that process ever again and I'm ready for some fixtures to be installed. Here's one last look at the old bathroom elements ready to be hauled off to the dump. Bye-bye bathroom.
Critter leary,
Debbie