"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Winter Skies

After weeks of dreary rainy weather the clouds broke and the sun came out.   The other morning I walked outside and as I looked up in the sky this is what I saw.
 The beautiful blue sky was absent any clouds, but I counted 12 jet streams from planes that had flown overhead.   I've never seen so many streams in the sky at one time.....and we hardly ever see them here on the farm for some reason.   It was just kinda weird....but pretty at the same time.  I watched them for several minutes and they just hung there in the sky......for a really long time.
The atmosphere must have been "just right" to allow those white trails to remain in place for so long.  I know there is a scientific reason for what I saw.....I just don't know what it is.   But it was pretty.

Not much has been going on here on the farm the last few weeks since Pork Chop and Bacon went to freezer camp.  We've been experimenting with some of the different cuts of pork out of the bounty in our freezers and so far have really liked the flavor of what we've prepared.   Yesterday Joel took a Boston Butt out of the freezer so after it thaws this weekend I can put a dry rub on it and smoke it all day long in our Big Green Egg.   Yummmmy!   Can't wait to see how that turns out.   Nothing like pulled pork to put a smile on your face.
Speaking of putting a smile on your face....how about cake?  Our chickens are producing anywhere from 9-13 eggs a day, forcing me to come up with more and more ways to use so many eggs.   One great way is to make homemade angel food cake.  One of our family's favorites.   And.....it takes a full dozen egg whites to make one cake.   Win win!  And it's so delish, too.   Fortunately, we have several friends who have begun buying our eggs from us, too.   I think I'm gonna need some more friends.  ha!

For someone like myself who has been used to puttering around in the flower beds and gardens year round in Florida, this first full winter has been a real lull for me.   I finally got around to pulling out all the dead plants from our two planters that flank the back screen door of our rocking chair porch.   Hmmmm, now what do you do with empty planters until Spring?

Ta-da!    I dug around in the storage room of the studio and found these two faux evergreen wreaths that fit perfectly on the top of the planters.   Now what?   I went to our crepe myrtle bush and cut 2 similarly sized branches and just plopped one in the center of each planter.   Done.   Almost.
A shiny silver star on one stark branch was all my little re-do needed.   Yup, that'll have to do until warmer weather allows some living breathing plants to take up residence in the pots once again.

Well, there you have it.   Life in the winter on the farm.   Kinda quiet.   Kinda boring.   You know what?   I'll take it!   Sometimes boring is good, especially when the rest of the year is jam packed with activities and to-do lists.   Plus, this time of year is perfect for settling into my new studio and knocking out some projects that I would otherwise not have the time to finish.

Yup,   I'll take boring for a while,
Deb