"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cupcakes and Mountaintops

So, yesterday was another cloudy, dreary day.   And then this morning I woke up and peeked outside to see the most spectacular sunrise.   Yup, clear blue skies, calm minimal breeze with 24 degrees reading on the thermometer.    A really pretty day here on the farm.   It's gorgeous outside and I took my camera out to the orchard to show you this:
Our farm rests at 1900 feet above sea level, but not too far away is a mountain range that sits much higher.  When we get a dusting of snow like we did yesterday morning, invariably the mountaintops get much more snow.   Isn't it beautiful?   I just love living here and fully experiencing the four seasons.

Anyway, as it was a little gloomy yesterday I decided to try a new recipe.  I love to spend cold days in my cozy kitchen whipping up something new.   Oh.  My.  Scrumptious.   These are Zucchini Coconut Quick Breads....
Remember all the zucchini we harvested last summer?   Well, I shredded a lot of it and prepackaged it and froze it for use during the winter.   So now when it came time to bake, all I had to do was thaw the bag, drain the liquid and drop the shredded zucchini in the mixing bowl.   The recipe for these little jewels is on King Arthur Flour's website:  www.kingarthurflour.com. 

And they got baked in......are you ready for this?......they were baked in a popover pan.   How weird?   But they are so cute and stand nice and tall.   Making these in the popover pan was a change-up from the typical cupcake pan.   They're not too sweet which makes them perfect to pair with a steaming mug of tea.
This was what I saw as I rounded the corner from the kitchen last night.   Joel busily reading up on wood stoves while Winston slept on the floor behind the love seat and Molly "guarding" Joel from her perch up above.   She just loves lying up there, sandwiched in between the back cushion and the love seat back.
Even her little paws are squished underneath her body.   How can that be comfortable?   I have no idea, but she spends a lot of time up there.  Occasionally she'll wake up and lick Joel's ear.   What a funny dog.

That's how we "do" winter,
Debbie