"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Winches and Pulleys

" Hmmmm.....so what am I looking at?", you ask. If you follow the orange rope up into the tree, you can see the outline of an old pulley. The old pulley leads down to a boat winch attached to another tree. Hey, stay with me here.
This is Ron, the very handy guy who rigged all this up for me. Now exactly what is at the other end of the orange rope? My staghorn fern, of course! Doesn't everyone hang their staghorn this way? Well, maybe not, but that's how we do it at the river. I have three staghorn ferns at home and brought the medium sized one up here to hang amoung all the oak trees. Hope it's happy here.
The cool thing about this set up is that anytime I want to water or feed the staghorn, I just have to lower it using the boat winch. Love it, love it. Ron is the one who came up with this idea for his wife and I have been admiring it for a couple of years now. He agreed to hang my staghorn the same way and completed the task yesterday. Yippee!
River Rat,
Debbie