"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!


Can you believe it? Where in the world did 2008 go? It seems like it was just August a few weeks ago, and now it's January 1st, 2009. And, what an exciting year it has been for my family. My husband and I sold our home and we moved into a rental while we decide what size home we want to downsize into. Our youngest son graduated from high school, is in college, and taking flying lessons. AND, ta-da, Pink Florida Threads was born!
That was a jam-packed year, wouldn't you say? I am feeling most especially blessed that our Creator has taken such loving care of us in all our crazy endeavors. And now, my desire for each of you is that you and your familiy will have a healthy, prosperous and fulfilling year ahead.

And, speaking of fulfilling, what a great time I had 2 days after Christmas. My poor daughter has had the flu this holiday, so she stayed home this year to recuperate and her husband brought their 2 children here to the west coast of Florida to see both sets of grandparents. When they arrived at our house 2 days after Christmas, the kids excitedly tore into their presents. While the "guys" played with our grandson's helicopter, my grandaughter and I played with her big present, a shiny new "Hello Kitty" sewing machine.

I'm not sure who was more excited, Sydney or I! One of her presents was a box with fabric squares in her favorite colors and all the makings for a doll quilt. We got right to work and she listened attentively while I explained the basics to her. She learned how to thread the machine, line up the fabric next to the presser foot, guide the fabric squares under the needle, and backstitch at the beginning and end of each square.

She sewed on that little machine like she had been doing it for years! I was amazed, to say the least, at how quickly she picked it up. She actually finished the quilt top and we added batting, and stitched the back (which I had embroidered just for her) to the "quilt sandwich". We turned it right sides out, sewed the opening shut, and did a little topstitching to hold it all in place. Doesn't the picture above show how tickled we both were with the whole experience? (I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes....)
So, if little Miss Sydney can do that, how about you? The class schedule for January, February and March will be posted online and printed on flyers at the shop within the next 2 weeks. Wait till you see the gorgeous turtle wall quilt we're going to be making. For this class, I'm preparing kits with all the fabrics in them, so you don't even have to go to the fabric store.
We'll also be sewing some aprons, a table runner, pillows and more. You'll be able to see a sample of each class offering at the shop hanging on the wall in the new classroom space. So, come and learn a few new skills with us, or just sit and sew and enjoy the comraderie. Either way, 2009 promises to be lots of fun at Pink Florida Threads.
Be careful, though, this could get addicting. My daughter called to bemoan the fact that she took Sydney to the fabric store to get a few pieces of new fabric, and Sydney informed Julie that she could pick out her own, thank you very much! Ha! Bet she's already working on her very own fabric stash.
Happy New Year,
Debbie