"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Ready for the 4th

It's hard for me to believe but June is almost gone and the 4th of July is right around the corner.   Before we know it we will be saying goodbye to summer and waiting for the leaves to turn yellow and red.   Oh, come on.   I'm not trying to give summer the bum's rush, really I'm not.  But the older I get the more time seems to speed along.  Haven't you found that to be so, too?

Well, maybe not.  I did find myself getting in the patriotic spirit of things a day ago as I pulled out some red, white and blue fabrics from the shelves in my studio and started playing around with them.  And here is what I made:
 I had just enough of the blue fabric with stars on it to eek out 2 "mug rugs".   Yup, that's the current term for a simple, 'ole drink coaster.  It was kinda fun to sew some up to give my table a little festive lift.  And my computer desk stays a lot drier now since I put the mug rug under my icy cold glass of water.  We will have no drips near the new computer, thank you.
 The mug rug was so much fun that I decided to make a patriotic pillow for out on the rocking chair porch.   The back of the pillow is simply done "envelope style" so the pillow insert can be removed and another cover put on once all the summer patriotic holidays are behind us.   That got me to thinking.......why not make a different pillow cover for the different seasons?    If I use the same pillow insert, then I can simply store the out of season pillow covers flat.....now that will take up a lot less space, right?   And here in our itty bitty farmhouse I am careful to avoid taking up precious storage space for frivolities.

So, now I am working on a fall, winter and spring cover for the same rectangular pillow form.   Geesh!   You'd think I have nothing better to do with my time than to invent new projects.....giggle.   But this was just so much fun and I love that making the pillow and mug rug provided some much needed instant gratification.   Ah, yes, I am so easily entertained.

Hey, give me a break here.   After all the massive projects Joel and I tackled this past 2 months it was fun to create something out of nothing and have an actual finished project in under an hour instead of weeks of working to achieve one goal.   Now you have a view into the life of someone with a short attention span.  Ha!
Now what I really should be doing is working in my garden.   Ah-hem.   Yes, there are a lot of weeds to be pulled and the strawberry bed is overflowing with runners.   But, it's too hot to work outside, isn't it?   And I miss sewing......   But I digress.    What you are looking at here is something to behold.   Just over 2 years ago after arriving on our farm, we planted several thornless varieties of blackberry bushes.   They didn't produce much last year and I was ever hopeful we might get some berries this season.

Well, let me tell you, they have gone crazy this year.   And today Joel and I went into the garden and picked our first berries and ate them on the spot.   Oh, yum!   This is how big some of them are.....I mean, seriously, this thing is gigantic.   It's a whole mouthful!   Tomorrow morning I plan on going out there at first light before the sun gets up off the horizon and starts heating up the day.  

Yup, gonna pick me some berries.
Debbie