"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Studio Reveal.....Finally

Yes, we have hung the last shelf and I even managed to put up a few Christmas decorations in my new studio.   We still need to build the breezeway to connect the studio to the house, but that's a project for another day.  Or maybe I should say, a project for another month.   At this point I'm kinda tired of moving boxes and bins and unpacking them, so, I'm thrilled just to be in the studio.   And it's done!
 One of the truly exciting things about this studio is the walking space I have around the cutting table and the tables which hold the sewing machines.   I've been packed into some small spaces over the years in various houses and this feels like a real luxury having some breathing room.   I still need to finish working on a couple of quilts to hang from the wire shelving behind the cutting table to make it feel more homey.   Besides, a studio has to display some quilts, right?
This end of the studio houses all my scrapbook supplies.   I love having this giant old oak table to work on and the pressed back chairs make my heart sing.   The armoir used to be in our bedroom and since there is no room for it in this little farmhouse, it has been repurposed as a wonderful storage vehicle for all the paper, stamps, and albums I use when I scrapbook.  

We just finished installing the wall shelf that houses my paints and ribbons.   Below that is the teal cabinet that used to hold record albums back in the day when we all had stereos that played records.  Now it is a great place to store works in progress.   And I just love my feather Christmas tree from my old shop.   It seems to fit right in here in the new studio.
After a good scrubbing, my old white comfy chair is ready for me to sit in to do my handwork.   And it's positioned right across from the tv so I can watch football or chick flicks in here and not drive Joel and Jeremy crazy.  And we brought my sweet chocolate table over here from the house with my favorite seasonal candle house on top of it.   I just had to string lights around the 4 windows of this new space to bring in some cheer during the bleak winter months.   They make me happy just looking at them.
Oops, sorry about the tubes of caulk.   I'm still putting things back in the workshop and these are on their way out the door.   Doesn't Flora the Flamingo look right at home here in her new digs?   Remember her from the shop?  
And now my monthly calendar holder has a permanent home on top of the narrow shelves.   Each month I can change out the mini-quilt.
Yes, the lights definitely "make it" for me.   It's hard to see, but I hung giant pine cones from lime green ribbon behind the lights.   The "private" side of the studio has 2 windows and I choose not to put blinds on these windows so my view of the farm isn't obstructed.   On the "public" side of the studio I did hang white blinds to match what we already have inside the house....and this gives me more privacy from the cars that pass on the road in front of the house.
It's so nice to have so many of my favorite items in one place where I can display them and enjoy them each time I enter the studio.  Joel gave me this huge piece more than 10 years ago for my birthday and I love turning it every three months to expose another season on each side of the house.  
This is the workhorse area of the space....2 wonderfully sized tables with my embroidery machine on the right and my everyday sewing machine on the left.   Now I have a large flat surface from which to work on my quilts.   Can't.  Hardly.  Wait.  
The cupboards on each side of the doorway going into the storage room are almost full.   I'm so glad to have the extra counter space, too.   This place is really a dream come true for me!  I love the soft blue walls contrasting with the light wood floor and the cotton striped area rugs bring a punch of color to the room.
I can wrap my presents on this counter and leave out the wrapping materials till I need them again.  Of course,  no sewing room would be complete without a proper ironing board and iron.  
As you can see, the storage room is full from top to bottom, but now everything is organized and I can find whatever I am looking for.  
Here's a peek at the left side and the metal shelving with bins on it.   All my seasonal decorating items for the house are in separate bins, so, when Easter rolls around, I just have to pull out my Easter bins and I can decorate the house without having to dig around in the attic to find what I need.   This makes it so easy and convenient for me.   Plus, I love being this organized.  

Well, that's the grand tour.   I'm sure I'll be tweaking the studio over the next year, but at least now I'm moved in there and can function once again.   I feel so blessed and realize what a luxury it is to have a dedicated space for me to "play" in once again.   Sewing and crafting bring me so much enjoyment and now I can hardly wait to hang out in my own special place.

Bring on the crafts,
Debbie