"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, November 13, 2014

One Step Closer

After a few failed attempts to figure out our flooring installation, Joel and I got into the groove and "got her done".   Whew!   The ceiling and flooring were two huge endeavors and we are both soooo glad to have them behind us.   Now, it's on to the fun stuff like trim work and cabinets.   Those are easy compared to the ceiling and flooring.
We choose a medium toned wood laminate plank flooring that actually went in fairly easy once we got into the groove.   We knocked the whole floor out in 2 days.   Yippee!   And I love how it looks.   You never know exactly how it's going to turn out when you order flooring while looking at one little piece of it.....it can turn out quite different when you do it in a whole room.   But I love the tone of this wood.

By the time all the sewing furniture and area rugs are in here it will serve as a nice neutral backdrop.   Can't hardly wait to start bringing my sewing goodies in here, but that is going to have to wait another couple of weeks.   We still have plenty to finish up in here first.
I did get the wood window frames painted and we installed those a couple of days ago.   Next, window trim......bought that last night at Lowe's.   But first we need to cut it and I need to give it 2 coats of paint, and then we can install it.
I used to be really afraid of Joel's saw, but now I feel really comfortable using it all by myself.   I managed to do all the cuts of the flooring by myself and am quite proud that I conquered my fear of "The Beast".   Looks like I'll get a lot more practice with Him as I have a lot of cuts to make for the trim of the windows and doors.  To hold down the saw dust we put down a tarp and placed Him in the storage room.   That worked pretty well to contain the dust for now.
I took this shot while standing in the storage room, looking out into the main part of the studio.   It sure looks like a lot of real estate in there.   But I bet it'll soon get filled up once we start moving my sewing furniture in there....and I have even designed a space for an old, large round oak table that I plan on using for scrapbooking and maybe some sewing classes. 
I think we have just enough flooring left to do the floor of the enclosed breezeway we have yet to build that will connect the studio to the house.   And I think I may use the leftover ceiling planks as a backsplash over the cabinets.....or maybe as a different wall covering in the breezeway.   We'll see how that develops over the next month.   At least now I feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel.  

I am excitedly waiting for the day when I can sit in my favorite chair in the studio, watching Sunday afternoon football while working on some hand sewing or knitting......and not feeling guilty watching football on the tv in the living room.   Neither of my guys like football.   I know!   Go figure!   But I love it and now I'll soon be able to watch all I want in my very own "girl cave".   Yippee!

Getting there,
Debbie