"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Last Harvest

Several days ago, our temps were predicted to drop down near the 30's so I took a break from all our other activities and went out to the garden one last time to pull the remaining tomatoes off the vine.  Even though a lot of them were green, they are ripening nicely on the windowsills in the laundry room & kitchen.  
 I drove the Polaris around the farm and picked whatever produce I could find.   At the bottom of the bushel basket are some pears from our granddaddy pear tree.   Then there were quite a few tomatoes still left on the vines, most of them green ones.   I also found more onions and pulled them from the ground.  And on top are the leeks that remained in one row of the garden.  
I decided to dig up a few more potatoes and make a batch of leek-potato soup.   Oh.  My.  Goodness.   It was so yummy!  Leeks have such a gentle flavor, not as strong as onions, and make the soup taste so delicate.   I added some of the tarragon that I grew this summer and dehydrated to finish it off.   Nothing like homemade soup and a sandwich to warm you on a cool autumn day.
Cooking in my new kitchen is such a pleasure....it just warms my heart to spend a few hours puttering around in my new digs and putting homemade food on the table for my guys to enjoy.   It just doesn't get much better for this country girl.

Happy Days,
Debbie