"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Friday, October 14, 2011

Trippin'

Four years ago, two of my favorite cousins came from Pennsylvania to visit me.   It was their first trip to Florida and the first time we had seen each other in  more than 20 years!  We had such a great time recalling our childhood memories and we certainly made some new memories together.   This morning I happened to come across some photos they had brought down with them.  I had made copies so I'd have some family history of my dad and his family.   Here are a few of them.

These two pics show my dad and my cousins' dad.  Yup!  They were identical twins!   We had an especially hard time telling them apart when we were kids but by the time I was an adult I knew which one was "my" dad.    One story from long ago says that my when my dad was 12, he went sledding down the mountain,  hit something and broke his leg.  Ouch!

See what I mean?    They sure do look alike there, too.  My dad is on the left in this photo.
Oh, how I'd love to sit on this swing again.   The swing was a staple of Grammy's backyard.   She was my dad's mom and the time I spent at her house are warm memories for me. The swing had a hand crank and if you wanted to use the swing you'd turn the crank and the swing would come down from it's raised position.   There was a huge slab of slate as a floor underneath the swing (we lived in the "Slate Belt" and slate was plentiful) and it was always cooler in the summer while beneath the large, protective overhanging roof.    Grammy's swing was so sturdy and lasted for years and years, not like the flimsy ones you see at home improvement stores today.   Could I have one just like it in my own backyard, please?
Ahhhhhhh.....the light bulb in my head just went on!   Now I know where my love of cars came from.  This is dad with his prized car he bought after he came home from the Korean War.  Yup, dad loved vehicles.   It didn't matter if it was a car or a motorcycle, he loved them all.   I'm so glad I reconnected with my cousins.   Thanks, girls, for sharing the early memories of our entwined lives with me.

Just trippin' down memory lane,
Debbie