"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Saturday, August 7, 2010

TA-DA!!

Yes, it's finally done....the "tin can cabin" officially has a new functioning bathroom. Yippee! Joel and I spent several weekends tiling and installing and tweaking, but it was worth it. We have a system when it comes to remodeling, we decide what "look" we're going for, then I research ideas and come up with a design concept and present them to Joel. He counters with his ideas and we compromise somewhere in the middle. It usually involves me showing him a lot of pictures of what I thought would work in our decorating scheme. He hesitates (mainly because he has a hard time visualizing what I'm describing), we compromise some more and then we purchase our materials.
Then when the project is complete, he says something along the lines of "Now I see what you were talking about. You were right, it does look better this way." Hmmmmmm.....and it only took us 24 years of marriage to work out this little dance we do.....each and every project.

I really wanted some log cabin feel in the bath so we found some smooth river rock and used it as an accent on the shower head wall and the shower floor. That did the trick. And, yes, we do our own tiling. Joel wants me to measure and install and he mans the wet saw and does all the cuts for me. Together we work pretty smoothly until it's time to grout. Can I just say it like I feel it? I hate to grout. No, really, I detest applying grout. After an hour of working on this project's grout, I called in recruits and drafted Billy, our helper dude, to take my place. I had just run out of steam.
Oh, yeah, and how do you like the fishy toilet paper holder? The original bathroom had the toilet paper holder, 2 matching towel bars, tissue holder and wastebasket all done in logs. Who knows how old these things are but I couldn't resist reusing them in our new bath. I think they add just the cabin-y feel we were going for.

Like I said at the beginning, ta-da! Whew! I think we're going to take a few months off now. Thank you, very much,
Debbie