"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"The" Kutztown Folk Festival

If you are ever in Pennsylvania during late June and early July you must put the Kutztown Folk Festival on your list of places to visit.   For over 50 years Penna. Dutch families have brought their hand crafted wares to the fairgrounds near the Kutztown University campus for a long week including 2 weekends.  I love to see what folks make with their own hands and it's a great place to purchase quality items.

 Midway thru my trip I left Tim and Denise's house and I drove south 20 minutes to my cousin Connie's house where I would stay for the next few days.   That evening Connie and I went to her sister Laurie's house for a quick visit and then it was on to Detzi's Tavern for the required Philadelphia cheese steak meal.   I just have to have a cheese steak when I'm in Penna.
Here are Laurie, myself and Connie.  Our dad's were identical twins and something about that connection has intertwined us one to another.   We seem to have a bond born from our dads.

But now let's get back to the Fair.   Connie and I have probably talked about going to the Fair together for at least the last 5 years.   I couldn't believe we were finally able to get there this year.  Early Monday morning we left Connie's house and drove to her daughter, Rachel's, house.  And the three of us headed south through cornfields and housing developments, finally on our way to the Fair.
As you walk past booth after booth you can witness these very handy folks creating handmade items for sale.   It's so interesting to see how a blacksmith coaxes iron into curlicues, or how a small handful of men take broom corn and attach it to a hand carved handle to create a broom.
 Connie was smart to get us going early that day so we arrived just as the Fair was opening and we saw all that we came to see by the time the heat wave was descending on the crowd.

And the food, oh, my.   Don't get me started on the food.    I really restrained myself from eating at each and every food stand we passed.   There were hot dogs with wonderful sauerkraut, sausage sandwiches covered in grilled green peppers and onions, kettle corn made fresh in front of your eyes and the best one of all..........funnel cake.   Oh.  My.   Scrumptious. 
Delicate flaky light dough quickly deep fried and put on a plate where you have to generously douse it in powdered sugar.   Yup.    Absolutely The Best Ever.
 Oh!  And if you did get overheated, all you had to do was walk thru the Cool-Off Bridge where a light mist sprays at you from all angles.   Those Dutchies are so inventive!   I needed to walk thru a few times toward midday as the temps were beginning to soar.
I did find another way to cool off.....I bought a gardening hat to use while working in my gardens back on the farm and I sipped a wonderful frozen concoction of coffee, ice cream and mocha flavoring.   Now that was really good.   And the topping of whipped cream and chocolate syrup was just the right finishing touch.  
Because I grew up in Penna. and we always drank birch beer (which is a soda), I thought everyone knew what it was.   It wasn't until I mentioned birch beer to one of my Florida friends that I realized it was a regional drink.   The sign above explains it all.  

And this picture shows some birch beer in the process of being made right there at the Fair!   If you like root beer, you will go crazy for birch beer.   There is no other taste like it, especially if it is served in a frosty cold mug.
See the hex signs above this food booth?    They were everywhere at the Fair.   The Penna. Dutch have painted these for generations and applied them to their barns and inside their houses.   Each hex sign has a different meaning and are said to bring luck, joy, etc. to the homestead that bears one.   So to be reminded of my Penna. Dutch heritage I also bought one for our farmhouse.   
The designs of the hex signs are so varied.  There were several artists painting them in their booths as we walked around the many rows of tents.    Some of them remind me of quilt designs, like the black and gold star above.
Do you see Fasnachts listed above?    Remember when I told you about making it on the farm back in February?  Seeing all the hex signs and reading Penna. Dutch words brought me back to my childhood, things I hadn't been exposed to for decades.   I had such a great time seeing these sights with Connie and Rachel.   Thanks, girls, for a really fun day.

Unfortunately, rain was in the forecast for the day I had intended to drive back to the farm, so, I decided to leave a day early to avoid driving 12 hours in the rain.   Before I left Connie's house in Nazareth, I picked up some tomato pie for the journey.   It was the best I've ever eaten.  ( If you're ever in Nazareth, stop in at Pizza Joe's and enjoy one of the best meals you'll ever eat. ) And to warm up the tomato pie a little bit I simply placed it on the dashboard for about 45 minutes as I drove into the sun down the interstate.
The heat of the sun coming thru the windshield did a great job of heating up the tomato pie.  When I stopped at a rest area I had a wonderful lunch all warmed up and ready to eat.   Gotta love a good road trip.   Thanks to my cousins and my brother's family for making it such a great week.   It was great seeing family once again, but I was really happy to be back on the farm where I belong.

Stayin' put for a while,
Debbie