"And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." Isaiah 32:18

Monday, July 7, 2014

Another Road Trip

Yes, I did another solo road trip.  This time I only had to drive 12 hours and ended up at my youngest brother's house in Pennsylvania.   Tim and Denise graciously put me up in their RV for a few nights while I visited with our favorite Aunt Gladys.   I love staying in the trailer....I can spread all my "stuff" out and I have my own shower and tv and bed.....and I wake up to birds singing all around me as Tim and Denise live out in the country at the edge of the beautiful Pocono Mountains.
  Tim and Denise live up on a ridge overlooking a valley that is dotted with century's old farmhouses made of local stone and tidy farms tucked in between rolling fields.   The view from their front window is of the Blue Ridge Mountain....pretty awesome view if you ask me.
 The Appalachian Trail runs along that mountain ridge and hikers can be seen almost all year long as they head into the little town where I grew up to buy supplies.
But I have to confess that the main reason I traveled so far from my very own farm was to spend a few days visiting my Aunt Gladys.   She's been battling cancer for over a year now and even though Joel and I tried various times to make the trip north, something always seemed to intervene.   Remember the snow storms of last winter?   Yup, each time we set up a time to drive up there another snow storm stopped us before we even left our farm.   And then Spring came and our farm burst into a frenzy of activity.   I made the trip alone because Joel needed to stay behind to feed the pigs and chicks and water the garden for me.
 
 But getting back to Aunt Gladys, I got to spend some time with her over 3 days and I hope she understood my inept attempts to tell her how much she has meant to me.   She is one strong lady, fiercely independent, a fabulous cook, a great seamstress, and so many more things.  I returned home from Pennsylvania 2 days before July 4th.....and then got a call that she went home to be with our Lord early in the morning of July 4th.   I'm so grateful that we had a few days to talk about some memories and that I had a chance to get to know her just a little bit more before she was taken away.

Yes, I will always be glad that the timing for this particular road trip was so opportune and that I had one more chance to spend some time with my favorite Aunt.   Heaven just gained the best Pennsylvania Dutch cook that ever was.....

Debbie